Small businesses are often the target of fake email scams, and it’s important to know how to protect yourself from these schemes.
Criminals will often send fake emails purporting to be from a reputable company, in an attempt to steal information or money from the recipient. It is therefore crucial that small business owners are aware of the warning signs of fake emails, and know how to protect themselves from this type of attack.
Is your small business protected from email scams? Fake email scams can be very convincing, but by knowing what to look for, you can protect your company from losing money or confidential information.
We have some amazing tips for spotting and avoiding fake email scams to keep your business safe.
An Overview of Fake Email Scams
Small and medium-sized businesses are far more vulnerable to cyber attacks than larger firms.. It’s because they don’t have the resources to invest in cyber security and they lack the expertise to implement strong security policies.
This is where Jumpstart Security comes in. We aim to make cybersecurity accessible to every small business across the world. Fake email scams are getting more common with every passing day. Before we dive into the details of protecting your business from such scams, let us get familiar with their exact nature.
What are Fake Email Scams?
Fake email scams are a type of business email scams where scammers send emails impersonating a company or individual to trick recipients into giving them money or personal information.
These scams can be very sophisticated and often use realistic-looking branding and logos to make them appear legitimate. Scammers may also hack into real email accounts and use them to send fake emails.
How Businesses Become Targets of Fake Email Scams
Email scams are becoming increasingly common, and businesses are often the target of these schemes.
There are a few reasons for this.
- First, businesses typically have more money than individuals, making them a more attractive target for scammers.
- Second, businesses typically have more employees, which means that there is a greater chance that someone will fall for the scam.
- Finally, businesses typically have more access to sensitive information, such as credit card numbers and social security numbers. Making it easier for scammers to steal this information and use it to their advantage.
As a result, it is essential for businesses to be aware of these scams and take steps to protect themselves.
4 Types of business email scams:
here is a variety of different business-email scams out there. Some of the most common examples are:
- Phishing —a scam in which the perpetrator sends you an email that appears to be from someone you trust, asking for your personal information (for example, passwords or credit card numbers).
- BEC/whaling—a type of phishing attack against businesses, often involving spoofed emails that request money transfers.
- Identity theft—when someone uses your personal information to commit fraud or steal your identity.
- Business email compromise (BEC) is a serious type of fraud where criminals impersonate executives or other trusted people within a company to trick employees into sending money or disclosing valuable information. The FBI says that BECs have cost companies more than $5 billion since 2017.
Always Lookout for Phishing Attacks
Be on the lookout for business email scams that ask for personal information or money, or that seem suspicious in any way. If an email makes you question it’s legitimacy, be sure to contact the company directly to check. Do not ever click on any of the attachments and/or in suspicious emails, these could be malware aimed to infect your system.
You can also partner with Jumpstart Security as we conduct regular phishing simulations to assess the threats in your surroundings and protect your business against any possible phishing attack. We ensure no malware enters your system through our email spam checker.
5 Ways to Spot Fake Emails
With so much business conducted via email these days, it’s important to be able to spot a fake email scam. Here are some ways to tell if an email is legitimate or not:
- The sender’s address doesn’t match the business they’re claiming to represent. This is a common trick of scammers, so if you’re not sure, do a quick Google search of the address to see if it matches the company’s official website.
- The email contains spelling and grammatical errors. While everyone makes mistakes occasionally, scammers often don’t take the time to proofread their emails, so this can be a red flag.
- You’re asked to click on a link or download an attachment. Unless you’re expecting this kind of communication from the sender, it’s best not to click on anything in case it’s malicious.
- The message is vague or doesn’t make sense. Scammers will often send out mass emails and don’t bother personalizing them, so the message may not make sense concerning your specific situation.
- You’re offered a deal that’s too good to be true. If an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is! Be especially wary of unexpected offers of money or expensive prizes.
If you’re ever unsure about an email, err on the side of caution and don’t respond. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
Secure Your Business from Fake Email Scams with Jumpstart Security
Running a small business is a tough job. From managing finances to keeping up with customer demands, there are a million things to keep track of daily. However, one area that is often overlooked is cybersecurity. This is a mistake that can have costly consequences, as data breaches are becoming more and more common.
Jumpstart Security is specifically designed for small businesses, providing them with the tools they need to protect themselves against data cyber crimes and mitigate the risks. By making cybersecurity accessible to everyone, Jumpstart Security is on its way to becoming the industry leader in data protection.
6 Ways to Protect Against Email Scams with Jumpstart
Jumpstart’s unparalleled features are all-set to defend against any fake emails that might put your business security at risk. Take a look at how we manage your organization’s cybersecurity.
- We equip organizations with easy-to-understand data security guidelines and publishable policies through our Policy Center.
- The Security Academy conducts regular training sessions to equip your employees with the skills needed to protect the business against security threats that can impact a business through fake emails.
- The automated phishing simulation identifies fake emails and reports them immediately. In this way, the organization can circumvent such emails. Phishing tests track the number of phishing attacks on the organization’s system and prepare the employees to avoid these scams.
- The reports generated through phishing tests at Jumpstart Security provide businesses with an insight into email scams and act as an email spam checker.
- You can reach out to our cyber responder in case of any query regarding fake emails.
- Jumpstart Security generates action reports to report breaches and vulnerabilities that exist in the organization’s system. It is easy to defend your system against fake email threats once you are aware of your weak areas.
Pricing Plans and Packages
We are currently offering the following packages.
- Jumpstart Free- $0/month
- Jumpstart Lite- $49/month
- Jumpstart Go- $149/month
- Jumpstart Safe- $299/month
Jumpstart Go conducts quarterly phishing attack tests and Jumpstart Safe conducts phishing testing every month.
Jumpstart Security provides unprecedented solutions to micro businesses at affordable prices so that every organization can integrate data security into its system. In case of any unforeseen cyber attack, we provide a cushion against massive losses through our Cyber Insurance feature.
The Need for Jumpstart Security
Businesses are increasingly reliant on technology to run their operations in today’s digital age. From point-of-sale systems and customer databases to email and website hosting, organizations depend on a number of online services to get the job done. However, with this increased reliance on technology comes an increased risk of cyber attacks.
Jumpstart Security is therefore essential for businesses of all sizes. By implementing security measures such as firewalls and encryption, organizations can protect themselves from data breaches, identity theft, and other online threats. In addition, our cybersecurity platform can help businesses to avoid the costly damages that can result from a successful cyber attack. By investing in Jumpstart Security, businesses can keep their operations running smoothly and protect their bottom line.
Protecting your Business at Affordable Prices
In recent years, email scams have become increasingly sophisticated and widespread. While some people may be able to spot a scam email right away, others may be taken in by the deceptive tactics used by scammers. As a result, Jumpstart Security has become an essential tool to protect businesses against email scams. By implementing measures such as automated phishing tests and security check-ins, we make it more difficult for scammers to gain access to sensitive information.
In addition, educating employees about the signs of a scam email can help to prevent them from falling victim to one of these schemes, thus we train your employees through our Security Academy. By taking steps to improve cybersecurity, we protect organizations and their customers from the damaging effects of email scams at affordable rates.
Email scams are a rampant problem, but there are things you can do to protect yourself and your small business. Sign up for Jumpstart Security’s solutions today and rest easy knowing that your email is safe from scammers. We have the tools and expertise to keep your inbox spam-free and your organization secure. Don’t wait – sign up today!